Benefits Questions

Frequently Asked Benefits Questions

The benefits information presented in this web site is a summary only and does not confer any rights. The information is subject to change without notice. For more information, please read the information provided by your benefit provider or contact them directly. 

For classified (non-teaching) staff, your medical benefits start on the first of the month following your date of hire by the Board. For full time faculty, your medical benefits start on October 1 of the year in which you are hired.

See benefits summary here.

If you are a part-time classified employee working 50% time or more, you are eligible for the same benefits as full-time employees, however the district pro-rates your allocation toward benefits. For example, if you are a half-time employee, the district gives you 50% of the allocation, if you are a three-quarters time (.75 FTE or 75%) employee, the district gives you 75% of the allocation, and so on. Hourly (temporary, part-time) staff are not entitled to the district allocation toward benefits.  Non-credit adjunct faculty are eligible to participate in the Bronze Plan.  For credit adjunct faculty benefit eligibility information, please refer to the adjunct participation section of the benefits website.

Yes.  Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) will provide medical and dental insurance for opposite sex domestic partners with state registered certificate, or state registered domestic partners for same sex or opposite sex, where at least one is 62 or older.  This reflects our compliance with AB205. 

The benefit year is October 1st through September 30. When you are first hired and each Open Enrollment period thereafter, you are required to complete open enrollment online indicating your benefit choices. For new and renewing programs such as life insurance and the flexible benefits (IRS Section 125) programs, you are required to complete additional enrollment forms. If you are making changes in your selection of benefits, you will be required to complete this change online.  If you leave the employment of the college, your benefits will end at the end of the same month that your employment terminates.

Open Enrollment is the period each year (usually August) when employees select and/or make changes to their health and dental benefits.  Please note that Open Enrollment is the only time you can change from one medical or dental insurance plan to another. During the plan year, you are allowed to add or remove dependents if certain specific qualifying events occur.  Contact Sharon Remacle if you need additional information.

Contact your medical or dental provider directly.  Please refer to the benefits homepage.

Your coverage with Santa Barbara City College is primarily for you; that is, it will pay first and any balance due will then be charged to your secondary coverage under your spouse or domestic partner. For your spouse or domestic partner, the reverse is true: their coverage with their employer is primary and their coverage with SBCC is secondary. For dependent children, it is determined by the birthday of the parent, assuming that the children are listed as dependents on both policies. The parent whose birthday is earliest in the year (closest to January 1) determines the primary coverage for the dependents. For instance, if your birthday is January 5 and your spouse's is October 27, the primary coverage for the dependent is with your insurance.

All of our medical plans cover emergency services outside of the area. There is a co-payment for using an emergency room, unless you are admitted to the hospital overnight. In addition, the Anthem Blue Cross plans allow you to select a doctor anywhere in the United States. If you or your dependents are going to be working or living outside of California or the United States for extended periods, you may want to consider switching to one of the Anthem Blue Cross plans. Except under special circumstances, referred to as "qualifying events," you may only switch plans during the annual Open Enrollment period.

Changes in address, employment (e.g. from part-time to full-time or vice versa), changes in family status (e.g. marrying, divorcing, or adding dependents), and/or changes in life insurance beneficiaries, may require you to complete change forms. Changes, such as adding a spouse, newborn or newly adopted children may occur at any time, provided that you apply for benefits within 30 days of the marriage, birth, or adoption. Otherwise, your dependents cannot be added until the following year's Open Enrollment. For more information, please contact Sharon Remacle in Human Resources at extension 2713.

Your benefits terminate at the end of the month in which your termination occurs.  This is also true if you retire from the college.  Once your benefits cease, it is likely that you will be eligible for COBRA.  Note: If you are planning to retire within the next benefit year, you should not waive your benefits if you want to participate in the District benefits after retirement. You must be enrolled in one of the District medical plan options at time of retirement in order to continue your benefits after retirement.

You can waive your medical benefits only if you can provide proof of comparable coverage as a dependent on another plan.  The current annual waiver allocation is $2,000.  Cash-in-lieu: if the total cost of the mandatory benefits is less than the District's maximum allocation, then the remainder shall be relinquished to the District, except for those who are waiving coverage.  If you waive medical insurance, you will receive cash-in-lieu of $2,000 (paid tenthly), minus the cost of the mandatory life and disability insurance and minus the cost of Golden West dental, if elected.  If you are choosing the waiver, you must signify your acceptance of the Section 125 Flexible Benefits option as well (NOTE: You do not need to establish a Section 125 account).

The various bargaining units, such as the California School Employees Association, Local Chapter 289 (CSEA), and the Instructor's Association, negotiate the benefits package with the District. The Santa Barbara City College Benefits Committee decides on benefits policies and procedures. The committee is made up of representatives from each of the employee groups, Fiscal Services, and Human Resources. For input on committee issues or decisions, contact the appropriate employee group representative.

For questions about claims, contact your benefits provider directly. For specific questions about benefits, contact your provider directly. The names, addresses, phone numbers, and websites of all providers are listed here. If you have other questions or problems, please call Sharon Remacle in Human Resources at extension 2713. 

For questions about payroll deductions, rates, and tax-sheltered annuities (403b), contact Estela Lopez in Payroll at extension 2305, Tracy Janecek at extension 2342, or Sharon Remacle at extension 2713.

Professional development
Many opportunities for professional development are available at SBCC. The Faculty Resource Center offers classes and assistance to faculty involved in applying technology to the classroom. The Professional Development Center offers skills training for South Coast businesses.  Santa Barbara City College employees may enroll in these classes.  Current class schedules are at For Classified staff, completion of approved courses may qualify you for Professional Growth credits towards salary increases. See

Athletic, dramatic, and musical events
Show your faculty /staff ID card to receive discount on admission.

Santa Barbara City College Campus Store
Faculty/Staff cardholders receive a 10% discount on clothing, school supplies, art supplies and general books, i.e. novels, reference etc.  Items NOT eligible for this discount are textbooks, software and food.



SBCC Employee Fitness Program is available to all SBCC Bargaining Units.  For information, please see the SBCC Employee Fitness Program