All prerequisites will be enforced at the time of registration.
There are two ways to get prerequisite holds cleared:
1) Complete the Transcript Evaluation Request process, click HERE. Prerequisite holds will be cleared based on the evaluation results. NOTE: The transcript evaluation process involves the evaluation of all courses toward
all requirements, not just the clearance of prerequisite holds.
2) If you are not seeking a full transcript evaluation, complete a Prerequisite Verification
Form for individual courses.
- Begin by checking below to see if any classes that you plan on signing up for have prerequisites or corequisites (when classes may be completed concurrently).
- If a class has a prerequisite and you fulfilled it with a final grade of "C" or better through SBCC, or are in progress with it at SBCC, your registration will not be blocked.
- If you fulfilled the prerequisite at another college, then you must complete a Prerequisite Verification Form A.
- If you fulfilled the prerequisite due to a credential (i.e. CPC, CCS, RN, etc.), then you must also complete a Prerequisite Verification Form A.
- IMPORTANT: Official transcripts are required for all prerequisite verification based on coursework.
More information on SBCC's prerequisite and corequisite policies can be found here.
CIM Course Prerequisites and Course Advisories
|Cancer Registry Management I||None||None||None|
|CIM125||Cancer Disease Management||
|CIM100 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM150||Oncology Coding & Staging Systems||CIM125||None||None|
|CIM201||Abstracting Principles & Practice I||HIT135||CIM125 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM202||Abstracting Principles & Practice II||CIM201||CIM150 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM225||Cancer Registry Management II||CIM100||None||None|
|CIM250||Cancer Statistics & Epidemiology||CIM201||CIM202 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM275||CIM Practicum||CIM202, CIM225 & CIM250||HIT240 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
HIT Course Prerequisites and Course Advisories
|HIT101||Intro to HIM||None||None||None|
|HIT102||Legal Aspect of Healthcare||None||HIT101 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|HIT135||Basic Medical Terminology||None||None||None|
|HIT201||Pharmacology for Allied Health||BMS146 (or Anatomy & Physiology)||None||HIT135|
|HIT202||ICD-10 Diagnostic Coding||HIT135, BMS146, & HIT101||HIT204||None|
|HIT203||ICD-10 Procedural Coding||HIT135, BMS146, HIT101, & HIT204||None||None|
|HIT204||Pathophysiology||BMS146 (or Anatomy & Physiology)||None||None|
|HIT205||Advanced Coding Applications||HIT202+HIT203 & HIT210||None||HIT255|
|HIT210||CPT Coding||HIT101, HIT135 & BMS146 (or Anatomy & Physiology)||None||None|
|HIT220||HIM Statistics||(COMP101 or CIS101)||HIT101 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|HIT230||Alternative HC Deliver Systems||HIT101||None||HIT240, COMP101|
|HIT240||HC Quality Management||(COMP101 or CIS101) & HIT101||None||HIT255|
|HIT255||Medical Insurance & Reimbursement||None||HIT102, HIT202+203 as prior or concurrent enrollment||HIT210|
|HIT265||HIM Computer Applications||(COMP101 or CIS101) & HIT101||None||None|
HIT202+HIT203, HIT210, HIT220, HIT240, HIT255, & HIT265
|HIT230||None, see limitation on enrollment|
|HIT280||Medical Coding Practicum||HIT202, HIT203, HIT210 & HIT255||HIT205 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None, see limitation on enrollment|
|HIT284||Coding Exam Prep||None||None||HIT 280 or equivalent*|
|HIT285||RHIT Exam Prep||None||None||HIT 275 or equivalent**|
*Student must be in the final semester of SBCC's Medical Coding Program (or an equivalent
program at another college), or have completed SBCC HIT280 or its equivalent, or be
an experienced medical coder in an acute care hospital or physician's office.
**Student must be in the final semester of SBCC's HIT Program (or an equivalent program at another college), or have completed SBCC HIT275 or its equivalent.