All prerequisites will be enforced at the time of registration.
There are two ways to get prerequisite holds cleared:
1) Complete the Transcript Evaluation Request process, click HERE. Prerequisite holds will be cleared based on the evaluation results. NOTE: The transcript evaluation process involves the evaluation of all courses toward
all requirements, not just the clearance of prerequisite holds.
2) If you are not seeking a full transcript evaluation, complete a Prerequisite Verification
Form for individual courses.
- Begin by checking below to see if any classes that you plan on signing up for have prerequisites or corequisites (when classes may be completed concurrently).
- If a class has a prerequisite and you fulfilled it with a final grade of "C" or better through SBCC, or are in progress with it at SBCC, your registration will not be blocked.
- If you fulfilled the prerequisite at another college, then you must complete a Prerequisite Verification Form A
- If you fulfilled the prerequisite due to a credential (i.e. CPC, CCS, RN, etc.), then you must also complete a Prerequisite Verification Form A
- IMPORTANT: Official transcripts are now required for all prerequisite verification based on coursework.
CIM Course Prerequisites and Course Advisories
|Cancer Registry Management I||None||None||None|
|CIM125||Cancer Disease Management||
|CIM100 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM150||Oncology Coding & Staging Systems||CIM125||None||None|
|CIM201||Abstracting Principles & Practice I||HIT135||CIM125 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM202||Abstracting Principles & Practice II||CIM201||CIM150 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM225||Cancer Registry Management II||CIM100||None||None|
|CIM250||Cancer Statistics & Epidemiology||CIM201||CIM202 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM275||CIM Practicum||CIM202, CIM225 & CIM250||HIT240 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
HIT Course Prerequisites and Course Advisories
|HIT101||Intro to HIM||None||None||None|
|HIT102||Legal Aspect of Healthcare||None||HIT101 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|HIT135||Basic Medical Terminology||None||None||None|
|HIT200||Introduction to ICD-9-CM||BMS146, HIT135, HIT101, HIT202||HIT204||None|
|HIT201||Pharmacology for Allied Health||BMS146 (or Anatomy & Physiology)||None||HIT135|
|HIT202||ICD-10 Diagnostic Coding||HIT135, BMS146, & HIT101||HIT204||None|
|HIT203||ICD-10 Procedural Coding||HIT135, BMS146, HIT101, & HIT204||None||None|
|HIT204||Pathophysiology||BMS146 (or Anatomy & Physiology)||None||None|
|HIT205||Advanced Coding Applications||HIT202+HIT203 & HIT210||None||HIT255|
|HIT210||CPT Coding||HIT101, HIT135 & BMS146 (or Anatomy & Physiology)||None||None|
|HIT220||HIM Statistics||COMP101||HIT101 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|HIT230||Alternative HC Deliver Systems||HIT101||None||HIT240, COMP101|
|HIT240||HC Quality Management||COMP101 & HIT101||None||HIT255|
|HIT255||Medical Insurance & Reimbursement||None||HIT102, HIT202+203 as prior or concurrent enrollment||HIT210|
|HIT265||HIM Computer Applications||COMP101 & HIT101||None||None|
HIT200, HIT202+HIT203, HIT220, HIT240, HIT255, & HIT265
|HIT230||None, see limitation on enrollment|
|HIT280||Medical Coding Practicum||HIT200, HIT210 & HIT255||HIT205 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None, see limitation on enrollment|
|HIT284||Coding Exam Prep||None||None||HIT 280 or equivalent*|
|HIT285||RHIT Exam Prep||None||None||HIT 275 or equivalent**|
**Student must be in the final semester of SBCC's HIT Program (or an equivalent program at another college), or have completed SBCC HIT275 or its equivalent.