Credit by Exam / Challenge Exam
If you have training or work experience that you think has sufficiently covered the
material in one of our classes, you should consider taking a challenge exam to get
credit for that class. This might apply to someone who attended a non-accredited school
or training program or someone who has long-time, direct experience in the field.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are not eligible for challenge exams as a new student. You must have completed at least one course through SBCC with a grade of C or better in order to be eligible.
Challenge exams are available for most HIT classes, except for HIT 203 and the practicum classes – HIT 275 and HIT 280. If you are interested in challenge exams for CIM classes, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review the course outlines in making your decision to take a challenge exam. The course outline lists what concepts the exam may cover. Course outlines can be found here.
Here are the rules for challenge exams:
1. Credit by examination may be granted to students who are registered and in good standing (2.0 GPA) at SBCC for proficiency in subject matter essentially equivalent to a course for which credit is being requested. Credit may not be granted for any course for which high school or college credit has been awarded.
2. Students must achieve 80% or better to receive credit for the class.
3. A maximum of 12 semester units of coursework may be received through credit by exam.
4. Credit by exam is not posted on the transcript until 15 units of coursework are earned through regular course completion.
5. Students can only take a challenge exam one time.
6. Students must NOT be enrolled in the course that they are challenging.
7. If a student has previously taken the course and received a D or F, he/she is not eligible for the challenge exam.
8. Challenge exams are offered at the beginning of each Fall and Spring semesters. Students who would like to take a challenge exam must alert the department no later than the end of the third week of the semester. According to SBCC policy, "Credit by examination shall be reported to Admissions and Records by the department chairperson no later than the end of the eighth week of the semester in which credit is granted." To meet this deadline, students will need to complete the exam process no later than the end of the seventh week of the semester.
9. Students must pay SBCC for the units of the courses PRIOR TO TAKING THE EXAMS.
After the HIT/CIM Office processes a challenge exam request through the Admissions
Office, the students' pipeline accounts will then be charged accordingly. Students
receiving credit for a course in which Credit by Examination was taken are required
to pay the enrollment fee and tuition, if applicable, for that course. Applicable credit by examination fees are non-refundable.The Board of Governor's Fee Waiver (BOGW) does not cover the cost of Credit by Exam,
only enrollment fees.
10. Please review SBCC's complete credit by exam policy here.
If you have reviewed the course outlines and have determined that you're prepared to take a challenge exam, please email email@example.com with your full name, student ID number (K00...) and the course(s) you would like to challenge. HIT/CIM staff will email you back with access information to our Challenge Exam website.