The Communication Lab
A dedicated lab and study space for students studying Communication
The Communication Lab
WELCOME! The Communication Lab offers tutoring and resources for students currently enrolled in Communication classes. Our goal is to support students’ academic achievement and success by providing an inclusive and accessible learning environment where students, tutors, and faculty can study and share communication concepts and ideas.
All lab support and tutoring will be provided remotely for the Spring 2021 semester. Please visit the links below to explore our online offerings.
Hours and Location
Communication Lab Tutoring
Appointments | Drop-in | Email
Support at Any Stage of the Learning Process
- Review Assignment Instructions
- Brainstorm and Plan
- Create Outlines
- Discuss course concepts, topics, and terms
- Research and Navigate the Library Database
- APA Format & Citations
- Study Strategies and Test/Exam Preparation
- Presentation Preparation and Rehearsal
- Ask Questions
- Leave with a plan for next steps
Communication Lab Tutoring
One-on-one and group tutorial support. Communication Lab Tutoring is available to any student currently enrolled in a Communication course at SBCC. Online tutoring is provided by Michelle (Communication Lab Teaching Assistant) via Zoom or google products (gmail, gchat). Google suite is included with all SBCC pipeline accounts, and Zoom is free to install.
Tutoring for Spring 2021 will begin on Tuesday, January 19 and end on Thursday, May 9.
- Students are required to use their pipeline email to reserve a tutoring slot.
- Please book only one tutoring appointment at a time. If you need assistance making an appointment, please feel free to email Michelle at email@example.com
- The tutor will contact you via email or chat at your appointment time, and will send a zoom meeting link.
- Additional times available by request; email firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop-in tutoring (no appointment needed)
Drop-in Tutoring on WEDNESDAYS & THURSDAYS
Drop-in Tutoring on FRIDAYS
- Online Drop-in Tutoring (no appointment needed) is available on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays via Zoom. Students will be helped on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The links above will take you to the zoom invitation and link to join. The link to join will take you to the waiting room. Please access the links while logged in to your pipeline account. This allows the LTA to identify you. The LTA will admit students individually or by group (for group tutoring), in order of arrival.
- If you have any issues accessing the zoom tutoring rooms, please email Michelle or send a chat message to Michelle at email@example.com
Email your questions to Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
- This option allows you to email your questions directly to the tutor at any time.
- You may also share what you are working on with the tutor via the share feature in google docs. You can use the comment feature to ask the tutor questions about specific parts of your work.
The Sigma Chi Eta Communication Honor Society invites you to join us for the SBCC Storytime Project! At a time when so many children in our community remain at home, we hope to provide a way to share the love of reading with the younger members of our SBCC family and bring some joy to those who are working so hard managing the demands of school, work and family right now. Throughout the semester, we will be releasing fun and culturally inclusive stories read by our own SBCC faculty, staff and students. Children and parents who tune in for SBCC Storytime are eligible to enter to win a copy of some of the wonderful books we will be sharing this semester!
Please invite the children you know who are part of our SBCC family to join the fun! See below for a link to the SBCC Storytime playlist, a short promotional video explaining the project and a promotional flyer. SBCC Storytime will also be featured on the SBCC library website as well as on the Communication Lab webpage. Check back throughout the semester as more great stories are added! This project is funded by a grant from the National Communication Association.
Virtual Communication Lab in Canvas
- Students can self-enroll in our Virtual Lab in Canvas by clicking here, and then selecting the "join this course" button. * Enrolled students will have
a Communication Lab course card added to their Canvas Dashboard, allowing easy access
to the lab at any time.
*If you are not already logged into Pipeline, you will be prompted to enter your pipeline credentials.
Communication Studies Research Guides
Technology Resources and Distance Education:
Writing and Citation:
- APA Citation Guide from the SBCC Library
- APA Formatting vidcasts from Purdue Owl on YouTube
Federal Work Study Employment Opportunity
If you have questions about the Communication Lab or its resources, please feel free to contact Michelle Detorie.