Advancing Leadership Association
ALA MISSION STATEMENT
As a team, we support our college community to create and uphold a welcoming learning environment through collaboration and instilling high expectations for the success of our diverse student population.
The Advancing Leadership Association (ALA) is a governance and consultative body that historically joined together the Supervisors Association and the Leadership Coalition and is now represented as one group under the Advancing Leadership Agreement. The primary purpose of this coalition is to represent its members in participatory governance and negotiations with the District on matters relating to benefits, grievance process, contracts, and other related administrative procedures.
The Board of Trustees recognizes the Advancing Leadership Association group as the exclusive representative of those employees included in the Management Group.
- Classified management members are those classified administrators who are designated as management by the District and, regardless of job description, have significant responsibilities for administering District programs other than the educational programs of the District, and/or have authority to hire, transfer, suspend, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, or discipline other employees, or having the responsibility to assign work to and direct them, adjust their grievances, or effectively recommend such action.
- Educational Administrator members are those who exercise direct responsibility for supervising the operation of or formulating policy regarding the instructional or student services programs of the District.
- Executive Vice Presidents and Vice Presidents are not included within the Advancing Leadership Association group. All other Executive Directors, Directors, Deans, Controllers, Managers and select Coordinators and Supervisors, who meet the above definitions are included in the Advancing Leadership Association group.
Current Management Group here
ALA Executive Committee Goals
- Represent Educational Administrators, Directors, Managers, and Supervisors in participatory governance (if executive committee members are unable to serve on a given committee, an invitation to serve will be extended to ALA members);
- Serve as the negotiation team for members of the Supervisors Association and Leadership Coalition represented under the Advancing Leadership Agreement;
- Present proposals that have an impact on this body (e.g. recommendations for newly funded positions, new evaluation process, new programs or services, Administrator Mentorship Program, etc.); and
- Serve as an advisory group to the Dean’s Council and President’s Cabinet
ALA Executive Committee Members
Executive Committee Members serve two years and are Educational Administrators, Directors, Managers, and Supervisors. Elections occur during the spring each year on a rotating basis. The composition of the executive committee includes a total of six members:
- (1) Dean, Liaison to Dean's Council (appointed by Dean’s Council)
- (2-3) Certificated Administrators
- (2-3) Classified Administrators
FY 23-24 Classified Leadership Certificated Leadership Dean Appointee Year 2 Robert Brown
Julie Samson (chair)
Maureen McRae Goldberg
Elizabeth Imhoff Ex-Officio Jason Walker
ALA representatives serving on shared governance committees for the 23-24 academic year are listed on this document.
MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING (MOU) between ALA and SBCCD
This Agreement contains the terms negotiated between the Santa Barbara Community College District and the Advancing Leadership Association concerning terms and conditions of employment for Management.
ALA works closely with HR and the District in offering training opportunities to address our managers’ current needs and provide professional development. Trainings are offered on a monthly basis. Members are encouraged to participate in training opportunities, as well as self-sourced opportunities through external organizations and resources.