As a public community college dedicated to the success of each student . . .
Santa Barbara City College provides students a diverse learning environment that inspires curiosity and discovery, promotes global responsibility, and fosters opportunity for all.
Our Core Principles
Santa Barbara City College’s core principles guide all aspects of instruction, organization, and innovation:
• Student-centered policies, practices, and programs;
• Participatory governance;
• A psychologically and physically supportive environment;
• Free exchange of ideas across a diversity of learners; and
• The pursuit of excellence in all college endeavors.
Santa Barbara City College’s mission and core principles honor our commitment to the spirit and intent of the foundational framework of the California Community Colleges, as described in California Education Code §66010.4:
- Primary Mission: Academic and vocational instruction at the lower division level; advancement of California’s economic growth and global competitiveness through education, training, and services.
- Essential and Important Functions: Remedial instruction, ESL, adult noncredit instruction (in areas defined as being in the state’s interest), and student support services.
- Authorized Function: Community services courses.