Vocational Nursing Application Procedure
PREREQUISITES to Application
- Proof of high school graduation or equivalency. "Official" high school transcripts (in a sealed envelope sent directly from your high school) are required.
- Completion of Anatomy and Physiology within the past five years . A minimum grade of "C" in a 3- or 4-unit college Anatomy and Physiology course. (BioMed 100 at SBCC is acceptable.) If you anticipate earning an ADN (RN Program), BioMed 107 and BioMed 108 are required, refer to FAQs-Q: What do I need to apply to the ADN Program?.
- NEW! Completion of Healthy Aging 201 (or equivalent Gerontology course) with a minimum grade of "C". Healthy Aging 201 will be offered at SBCC in the summer 2015 and fall 2015 semesters.
- Eligibility for Math 100 – Elementary Algebra.
- Eligibility for English 100 – Fundamentals of Composition.
- Eligibility for English 103 – Improvement of College Reading Skills.
- C.N.A. Certificate OR NEW! Completion of the new Memory Care Program, offered in spring 2015, call 805-730-4166 for more information.
* Prerequisites are subject to change-attend an Information Meeting to verify what current prerequisites are for VN Program.
- Applications are accepted on a year-round basis, even if prerequisites are in progress. The application itself does not guarantee acceptance into the next cohort, however, applicants who are in the applicant pool are invited to an orientation meeting that includes specialized testing within the year prior to the start of the cohort.
- You must submit the following to the Health Technologies Office:
• Completed VN Application
• Proof of Eligibility shown by:
a) Submission of results of SBCC assessment tests showing eligibility for Math 100, English 100, and English 103, OR
b) Submission of SBCC transcripts showing eligibility for Math 100, English 100 and English 103, OR
c) Submission of transcripts showing completion of the equivalent of Math 100, English 100 and English 110 on another college campus.
d) Submission of transcripts showing completion of Anatomy and Physiology within the last five years and Gerontology or Healthy Aging course with a minimum grade of "C".
e) Proof of high school graduation OR equivalency by official transcripts.
f ) Proof of CNA certification
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO VERIFY RECEIPT OF TRANSCRIPTS AND COMPLETION OF FILE. Have transcripts sent directly from high school and college(s) to the Health Technology Office (see other side for address). Request SBCC transcripts from Admissions to Health Technology.
BEFORE ENTERING THE LVN PROGRAM: Students are required to:
- Attend Program Orientation Meeting (time and date to be announced)
- File an SBCC application in the Admissions Office the semester prior to beginning classes at SBCC
- Complete the SBCC physical examination on SBCC form including immunizations.
- Obtain a CPR card which must be kept current throughout the program
- Pay a materials fee at registration for the first and second semester.
|You must be in good health to participate in this program. Applicants are required to have passed a health examination. If, at any time (either before or after acceptance into the program), a student’s physical or emotional health is such that it it’s a potential threat to the well being of patients, the applicant will be denied admission to, or subsequently withdrawn from the Program.|