Welcome to Global Studies
We live in a world that seems to become “smaller” at an accelerated pace. Rise in global trade, rapid advances in technology,
unprecedented degrees of inter-cultural communication and international travel, a growing body of international law, the growing
number of global non-state actors and the seriousness of today’s environmental problems have been creating an increasingly
connected world. This process of globalization has transformed our planet, creating new opportunities and many new challenges.
The mission of the Global Studies Program is to enable students to understand how globalization continues to evolve, and to
provide an academic background which prepares them for today’s many career fields that require a global perspective. Reflecting
the complexity of today’s world, Global Studies is an interdisciplinary major. It integrates the following disciplines:•
History, allowing us to learn about the evolution of our global civilizations;
- Anthropology and Sociology, to study the evolution of societies, societal characteristics and changes;
- Communication, to study communication between cultures and nations;
- Philosophy, to help us understand fundamental concepts such as our values and the philosophy of religions;
- Political Science, to understand the role of nation-states, international organizations, international law and private organizations in the globalization process;
- Economics and business, to study the growth of trade and its effects;
- Environmental Studies, to explore the many ecological problems related to economic growth and the dramatic rise in global population; and
- Foreign languages, to help us understand other people and communicate more effectively across national barriers.
Combining these academic disciplines into one interdisciplinary, colorful major — in order to understand the rapidly unfolding process of globalization — is the objective of our program.
Upon completion of the Global Studies major requirements, students should be able to:
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe key developments in the ongoing process of globalization
- Analyze the concept of global interdependence with reference to various characteristics of globalization and to specific global problems
- Connect concepts related to political, economic, cultural and ecological globalization with events discussed in contemporary news
Dr, Andrea B. Haupt ext. 3735