COMMUNICATION LAB ORIENTATION INFORMATION
S P R I N G SEMESTER 2015
Please review the information below prior to using the Lab for the first time.
Location: BC102, next to the West Campus Snack Shop.
Telephone: 805-965-0581 Ext. 2592. Please call for reservations or information.
Lab hours: Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- The Communication Lab is for communication students for communication assignments only. Use LRC computers for other class assignments or personal email.
- Check in at the front desk with your Student Photo ID card. If you lose your Student Photo ID, go to Student Services and get a FREE new card.
- Do NOT bring food or drinks into the Lab. Leave them at the front counter.
- Do NOT remove Lab materials (journals, textbooks or sample exams and papers) from the Lab.
- Please be quiet and courteous while working on lab assignments.
- Always check in at the front counter with your Student Photo ID card.
- Be specific about the name of the lab assignment you are doing in order to receive proper credit.
- Due dates are provided to the Lab Assistants by your instructor.
- No make-ups are allowed for lab assignments without permission from your instructor.
- If you are doing more than one class assignment, check out and in again to receive proper credit.
- Check out and sign-out when done and remember to pick up your Student Photo ID card.
Entering the Lab
- Make an appointment in the binder on the front counter. Walk-in is OK only if tutor is available.
- There is a Go Print printer available in the Lab. You will need money on your Student Photo ID card to pay for printing. The charge is 10 cents per page. The SBCC Library Go Print accepts change.
- You may transfer money from your credit card to your account through Pipeline. You will find directions on the GoPrint printer.
- A self-serve copier with change for $1 is available. The charge is 10 cents a copy. You may use your Student Photo ID card as well.
Printer and Copier
Using the Communication Lab Computers
- The Lab has 18 PCs with Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Internet access.
- You will need to log on to a computer using your “K” number. Know your “K” number.
- SAVE your work immediately with your name to: “Computer,” then “Students H” drive.
- The Lab has four (4) monitors for watching DVD assignments.
- Splitters are available so that two students can watch at the same time.
- If you wish to watch with a group, reserve a taping room at the check-in counter.
- For sanitary reasons, bring your own ear buds or headsets when viewing tapes or DVDs.
Using the Taping Rooms
- Taping rooms may be used for studying, recording assignments on Webcam or watching DVDs with a group. You may reserve a Taping Room in advance by phone or in person.
- Taping Room reservations are held for 5 minutes. If late, you lose your reservation. Taping rooms are to be used by the same person(s) for no more than one hour at a time.
- If you are recording on the Webcam, please follow instructions. Instructions for operating the Webcams are posted in the Taping Rooms or ask for assistance.