COMMUNICATION LAB ORIENTATION INFORMATION
Location:BC102, next to the West Campus Snack Shop.
Telephone:805-965-0581 Ext. 2592. Please call for reservations or information.
Regular Lab Hours: Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Summer School Hours: Monday through Thursday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
• The Communication Lab is for communication students for communication assignments
only. Use LRC computers for other class assignments or personal email.
• Check in at the front desk with your student photo ID card. No temporary cards or “K” numbers accepted.
• You will need your photo ID card to print documents. If you lose your ID, you will be issued a new card. You may transfer money from your credit card to your account through Pipeline.
• Do not bring food or drinks into the Lab. Leave them at the front desk.
• Do not remove Lab materials (journals, textbooks or sample exams and papers) from the Lab.
• Please be quiet and courteous while working on lab assignments.
Entering the Lab
• Always check in at the front counter and sign in on the Sign-In sheet.
• Be specific about the name of the lab you are doing in order to receive proper credit.
• Due dates are provided to the Lab assistants by your instructor.
• No make-ups are allowed for lab assignments without permission from your instructor.
• If you are doing more than one lab, check out and in again to receive proper credit.
• Check out and sign-out when done and remember to get your ID card.
• By appointment or walk-in if tutor is available.
Using the Communication Lab Computers
• The Lab has 18 PCs with Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Internet access.
• Save your work immediately to the network “H” drive.
• There is a Go Print available in the Lab. You will need money on your student ID card to pay for printing. The charge is 10 cents per page. The SBCC Library Go Print accepts change.
• Instructions for journal article research are available at the front desk.
• The Lab has four (4) monitors for watching DVD or videotaped assignments.
• Rewind tapes before returning them to the counter.
• Splitters are available so that two students can watch a tape at the same time.
• If you wish to watch a tape with a group, reserve a taping room at the check-in counter.
• For sanitary reasons, bring your own ear buds or headsets when viewing tapes or DVDs.
Using the Taping Rooms
• Taping rooms may be used for studying, taping assignments or watching videotapes
with a group. You must reserve a taping room in advance by phone or in person.
• Taping rooms reservations are held for 5 minutes. If late, you may lose your reservation. Taping rooms are to be used by the same person(s) for no more than one hour at a time.
• If you are using the webcam, please follow instructions. Instructions for operating the webcams and cameras are posted in the taping rooms or ask for assistance.