School of Nursing
Vocational Nursing Program
Vocational Nursing Program Philosophy
- Nursing is a social endeavor. Participants in the community of nursing and related
health disciplines should reflect society.
- There is a core of nursing knowledge that is applicable to a wide variety of nurse-
client settings and situations.
- Understanding of functional, physiological, social and psychological patient/client
needs is essential to effective nursing practice. Different levels of nursing determine
the degree of educational preparation necessary and the scope of responsibility of
- The program prepares students from diverse backgrounds for beginning level of direct
patient-centered care and educates students in the changing trends of the health care
- The program's content progresses from the simple to the complex and is predicated
on the premise that effective vocational education requires active participation.
- Faculty's role is to assist the student to be a responsible learner whose actions
are guided by ethical standards as well as knowledge and skills.
- Faculty fosters the learning process by assessing the students learning needs, assisting
in developing faculty-student selected goals, providing access to learning situations,
and when necessary making appropriate referrals.
- The purpose of academic and clinical evaluation is to help the student recognize and
Back to top
721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394 Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581 © 2016 Santa Barbara City College