Welcome to Cosmetology
The Cosmetology Department prepares students to become the creative, well-trained professionals demanded by today's beauty industry. Programs qualifying graduates to take the California State Board licensing examinations in Cosmetology and Esthetician are available. Lecture and "hands-on" training are provided at the SBCC Cosmetology Academy (5160 Hollister Avenue, Goleta).
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply principles of shampooing, hair shaping and hair styling
- Apply permanent waves, chemical relaxing and soft curls
- Analyze scalp and hair
- Apply all phases of hair coloring and lightening
- Create styles, using basic and advanced techniques
- Administer facials, hair removal techniques and makeup services to provide care for the skin
- Provide basic nail care and artificial nail techniques
- Utilize safety and sanitary procedures for all clients
Division: Health/Human Services
Department Chair: Griselda Rosas (5160 Hollister, 683-4191, ext. 3)
Dean: Melissa Moreno (Wake Campus, Rm 1, (805) 683-8292)
Faculty & Offices
Brenda Hudson, (5160 Hollister, 683-4191, ext. 6)
Griselda Rosas (5160 Hollister, 683-4191, ext. 3)
Michelle Pualoa (5160 Hollister, 683-4191)
1. Complete a Cosmetology Academy application. To download and print an application, CLICK HERE
To pick up an application in person visit the Cosmetology Academy, 5160 Hollister Ave., in the Magnolia Shopping Center
2. Mail or deliver your completed application to the Academy at the address on the application.
3. Attend the required orientation meeting at the assigned time. Note: Placement in a class is based on the number of spaces available, the postmark or delivery date of completed applications, and attendance at the mandatory orientation meeting before the class starting date.
4. After attending the orientation, submit a Santa Barbara City College application to the Office of Admissions & Records in the Student Services Building on campus.
To request an application, call the Academy at (805) 683-4191, ext. 2.
Cosmetology Academy Orientation Meetings
Accepted students must attend the specific orientation meeting a few weeks before the class they wish to enter. At the meeting, detailed program information will be provided, the Academy may be toured, and signed enrollment cards will be awarded for available space in the upcoming class. Meeting attendance alone cannot guarantee placement in a class; please see item 3 in the preceding section.
The Cosmetology Program develops expertise in the science and techniques of hair, skin, makeup and nail care. Upon successful completion of 1,800 clock hours of applied preparation in lecture and lab experience in Cosmetology (CSMT121-125), the student will be eligible to take the California State Board examination to become a licensed cosmetologist.
To qualify for this exam, the graduate must be 17 or older, have completed the minimum program requirements, and have proof of completing at least the 10th grade and legal California residency. (Please Note: Applicants for the State Board examination must have a Social Security number.)
The Esthetician Program meets the 600-hour requirement in two 12-unit; 360 hour course modules that are designed to develop skill sets in the science and techniques of administering skin care treatments and expertly applied makeup. Upon successful completion of the 600 clock hours of applied preparation in lecture and lab experience in Cosmetology 131 and 132, the student is eligible to take the State Board examination to become a licensed esthetician.