Tragedy in Isla Vista - SBCC Student Counseling and Support Services
In light of the tragedy in Isla Vista you may be struggling to understand how a shooting could occur and why such a terrible thing would happen. There may never be satisfactory answers to these questions.
We do know, though, that it is typical for people to experience a variety of emotions following such a traumatic event. These feelings can include shock, sorrow, numbness, fear, anger, disillusionment, grief and others. You may find that you have trouble sleeping, concentrating, eating or remembering even simple tasks. This is common and should pass after a while. Over time, the caring support of family and friends can help to lessen the emotional impact and ultimately make the changes brought about by the tragedy more manageable. You may feel that the world is a more dangerous place today than you did yesterday. It will take some time to recover your sense of equilibrium (APA, May 2014).
If you feel that you could benefit from more support there are several counseling resources available to you as listed below. Your first resource is SBCC Student Health Services which will be open the week of May 26th on Tuesday, May 27th,Wednesday, May 28th, Thursday. May 29th 8am-4:30pm and Friday, May 30th 8am-1pm. We are located in the Student Services Building, Room 170. To contact us during these hours, you may come in or call 965-0581 x2298. After this week, Student Health Services will reopen for Summer Session on June 16th and counseling will be available.
Other Local and Community Resources Responding to the Isla Vista Shootings:
- Santa Barbara Response Network can provide support for those affected by the Isla Vista shootings, Click here for their website.
- Hospice of Santa Barbara- for free grief counseling at 563-8820
- Community Counseling Center - 923 Olive St., Suite 1, Santa Barbara, CA 93103, for low cost community counseling Phone: (805) 962-3363
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 324 E. Carrillo St., Suite C, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, for low cost-community counseling Phone: (805) 963-7777
- Family Service Agency - 123 W. Gutierrez St., Santa Barbara, CA, for low-cost community counseling Phone: (805) 965-1001
- Family Therapy Institute - 111 E. Arrellaga St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101, For low cost-community counseling Phone: (805) 882-2400
- Hosford Counseling and Psychological Services Clinic - Gervitz Graduate School of Education, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, For low-cost community counseling Phone: (805) 893-8064
Dr. Ben Partee, Dean, Student Support Services