NOTICE: As of February 20, 2014, applications are no longer accepted for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, until after we exhaust the current wait list. The Fall 2016 cohort will be filled from the current wait list. Check the website periodically for updates regarding when new applications will be accepted.
A maximum of 22 students are admitted to each cohort. A new cohort begins every two years in the fall semester; 2016, 2018, 2020, etc. This is based on the number of clinical sites that will accommodate our students. Our clinical sites are as far north as Templeton and as far south as Burbank.
Sonography Prerequisite Options:
1. Completion of a two-year allied health education program that is patient-care related (RT, RN, PT etc.).
Program must have been: full-time, 24 months, and included 6 months of clinical experience.
2. Bachelor's degree
3. MD or DO degrees from in or outside the U.S., equivalent to those
of the U.S. and Canada
In addition to one of the above, the following prerequisites must be completed before applying to the program:
- Human Anatomy (e.g. BMS 107) 4 units
- Human Physiology (e.g. BMS 108) 4 units
- General Physics (e.g. PHYS 105) 4 units
- Intermediate Algebra (e.g. MATH 107), Statistics (e.g. MATH 117), or higher mathematics course 4 units
- Written Communication (e.g. ENG 110) 3 units
- Medical Terminology: (e.g. HIT 135 or AH 120) An equivalent one-semester course may be found at most Community Colleges.
After acceptance to the DMS program, and before entering, students are required to:
1. Attend a DMS orientation meeting the semester prior to entry
(time and date will be announced).
2. Complete the SBCC physical examination on SBCC form
3. Submit results of a TB skin test, and update annually.
4. Obtain a CPR card, which must be kept current throughout the program.
5. Complete a background check
6. Complete a drug screening