December 16, 2015
Joan Galvan, Public Information Officer
SBCC Student Named Coca Cola Leaders of Promise Scholar
Santa Barbara City College student Michael Benor has been selected to receive a $1,000 scholarship from the national Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society as a 2015 Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholar.
Michael, a native of Tel Aviv, Israel, is a member of SBCC’s chapter of PTK and majoring in Film Production. He plans to transfer to a four-year college or university when he completes his studies at SBCC.
Phi Theta Kappa recognizes academic achievement and provides opportunities for students at community colleges to participate in honors, leadership and service activities for the community. SBCC’s PTK chapter currently has approximately 400 members who are volunteering this year with such nonprofit groups as Habitat for Humanity and Casa Esperanza Homeless Center in Santa Barbara.
A total of 207 Phi Theta Kappa members nationwide were named 2015 Coca-Cola Leaders
of Promise Scholars and were awarded a total of $207,000 in scholarships to further
their associate degree studies.
Recent Press Releases
- SBCC Students Make Case for a Year Without War at UN Peace Summit
- SBCC Donates Thanksgiving Meals to Students and Families
- SBCC’s Student Sustainability Group Awarded Green Colleges Award
- SBCC’s Communication Club Receive National Awards
- SBCC Receives Design Award for Humanities Building Modernization