May 13, 2014
Joan Galvan, Public Information Officer
(805) 965-0581 ext. 2307
SBCC Commencement Scheduled for May 23
Santa Barbara City College
65th Annual Commencement Ceremony
Friday, May 23
5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Santa Barbara City College’s La Playa Stadium
721 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara
- Five to six hundred students are expected to participate in the commencement ceremony.
- SBCC has more than 2,700 degrees and certificates pending or awarded in the 2013-2014 academic year.
- National anthem sung by students Wilma Enberg and Zammi Zwane
- Opening remarks by President Lori Gaskin
- Remarks by Academic Senate President Kenley Neufeld
- Student address will be delivered by student Kristen Webb, age 30, and a Thousand Oaks native,who will receive an Associate’s degree in Communication Studies. This will be her second degree from the college; she earned an Associate’s degree in Culinary Arts in May 2013. Ms. Webb’s pathway to completing her education at SBCC has not been without challenges. She lost her sister Victoria to breast cancer at age 28 and was diagnosed with the same disease in 2011. During the course of her studies, Ms. Webb said she went through moments during when she was not sure she could finish. However, drawing upon her own strength of will and the support of a SBCC counselor, she prevailed, completed her studies and will now represent the SBCC student body as speaker at the 2014 commencement. In her commencement address, Ms. Webb will share her own story and stress the need to move past any fears and look for what is important to you. “Live your life fully and go for your dreams.” Ms. Webb will attend Sonoma State University in the fall and plans to move into the non-profit sector upon graduation. She volunteers for a number of charitable organizations including the Healthy Woman’s Program at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura and Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society.
Recent Press Releases
- SBCC Center for Lifelong Learning Completes First Year of Operation
- SBCC Invites Community to Day of the Dead Reception
- Dorantes Lecture Highlights True Story of Reconciliation Between Perpetrator and Victim of Hate Crime
- SBCC Honored as America's Top Program in the Associate Degree Category at Increasing Latino Student Success in College
- Cottage, SBCC Collaboration To Increase Safety for Student Athletes During Practice, Competition