550 Graduates Celebrate 65th SBCC Commencement
May 25, 2014
On a beautiful sunny and breezy afternoon, more than 550 Santa Barbara City College graduates celebrated the completion of their studies at SBCC’s 65th annual commencement held at La Playa Stadium. An estimated 5,000 family, friends and loved ones filled the stadium bleachers to share in the momentous occasion.
SBCC President Lori Gaskin congratulated the graduating class and urged them “Use
the gift of education to be a positive force in the world.”
Student commencement speaker Kristen Webb emotionally shared her own challenges to reach graduation. A breast cancer survivor who earlier lost her sister to the same disease, she told her fellow students, “Move past your fears and look for what is important to you. Live your life fully and go for your dreams.” A communication major who also earned a culinary a culinary degree from SBCC earlier, Kristen will attend Sonoma State University this fall.
The graduates were awarded their degrees and certificates by President Gaskin and SBCC District Board President Lisa Macker.
As the ceremony concluded and the recessional began, the students were welcomed by the faculty who had lined up in two rows to shake hands, give hugs, or share a quick photo as they filed out.
A commencement reception held at the Sports Pavilion Plaza gave the graduates, faculty, family, friends and loved ones a final moment to savor the huge accomplishments of the afternoon.
- SBCC to Offer Memory Care Classes in Spring 2015
- SBCC Center for Lifelong Learning Completes First Year of Operation
- SBCC Honored as America's Top Program in the Associate Degree Category at Increasing Latino Student Success in College
- Cottage, SBCC Collaboration To Increase Safety for Student Athletes During Practice, Competition
- SBCC 2014- 2015 Faculty Excellence Award Recipients