Theatre Arts Scholarship Winners Announced
December 4, 2013
Eleven Santa Barbara City College students recently were named recipients of the Sara Evelyn Smith Scholarships in Theatre Arts and the Phyllis Mailes Memorial Scholarship.
The Sara Smith scholarships were established in honor of the late Sara Smith, a local resident who spend over 50 years in Theatre Arts education as a teacher, director, and actress. Her late son Bob Smith owned KEYT-TV in Santa Barbara and her daughter-in-law Anne Smith Towbes also has been an educator in Theatre Arts and president of the board of directors of the Lobero Theatre.
The Phyllis Mailes scholarship is dedicated to Phyllis Mailes, the mother of donor Tim Whitcomb, who fondly remembers her donating, organizing and participating in neighborhood and community theatre projects during his childhood in the San Fernando Valley.
The 11 students, who each received $1,000 scholarships, were selected on the basis of theatre experience as evidenced by monologues performed for this competition.
Pictured are: (left to right) Anne Smith Towbes (donor), Ashley Wizel, Philip Kemp, Demi Hingeley, Hunter Larson, Donal Ross, Sanna Forsen, Jessica Brown, Marion Pugliesi, Benita Hoeijer, Amy West, Anna Vera Olin, Tim Whitcomb (donor), and Katie Laris (SBCC Theatre Arts Department Co-Chair)
- SBCC Names 21 Student-Area Winners in Great Books Curriculum Competition
- SBCC Team Takes Top Honors at Santa Barbara Hackathon
- SBCC Honors Program Challenges Students' Creative Thinking, Communications Skills
- Western Collegiate Model United Nations Announces New Board of Directors
- SBCC Board of Trustees Elects New Officers, Swears in New Trustee