- Former SBCC Songwriting student Katy Perry became an instant sensation with her release of One Of The Boys on Capitol Records in June of 2008. The album sold more than 1 million copies in the United States. The first single, I Kissed a Girl, spent an astonishing seven weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Only the Beatles Hey Jude logged more time at the top of the Billboard charts. "I Kissed a Girl" earned Katy a Grammy Nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. She was also nominated for several MTV Video Awards in 2008. "I Kissed a Girl" and the follow up single "Hot N Cold" have sold over 3 million digital downloads to date. She is currently working on her second album to be released in Summer 2010.
- Visit Katy's amazing website KatyPerry.com
- Listen to I Kissed a Girl
- Adolfo completed the music major program at SBCC then earned a BA in music at North Texas State University, While at SBCC, Adolfo was the lead trumpet player in the Lunch Break Jazz Band. Adolfo is now plays trumpet in the classic rock/jazz fusion band Tower of Power. In 2009, he was featured in print advertising for Yamaha brass instruments.
- See Towerofpower.com for a concert schedule.
- SBCC Music Major Aaron McLendon is a very successful drummer / percussionist in New York City. He is working with top name artists like George Clinton from Parliment/Funkadelic and Terrence Howard. He is also performing with Eldar, Taylor Eigsti, and Christian Scott. While at SBCC, he started the avant-garde ensemble Buster T. Farnsworth with Ryan Blum and another SBCC Music Major, Nathan Herrera. For 2010, Aaron is planning to record an instrumental jazz album and an original songwriting record.
- Check out his website www.aaronmclendon.com/ and his page on MySpace music.
- The very successful alternative rock band, Sugarcult actually formed in the SBCC Music Department. Original members Tim Pagnotta, Erin Older, and Ben Davis were all in the songwriting class at the same time. Tim took the songwriting class four times along with the sound recording and electronic music class. Original drummer Ben Davis, completed the Music Major program and received a Commercial Music Certificate. The first album, Start Static, has sold over 500,000 copies earning a Gold Record. About half the songs on that album were written in the SBCC Songwriting class including the hit single Bouncing Off The Walls. Underwear, the hidden track 12, from Start Static was recorded and produced by Ben Davis and features SBCC faculty member Jim Mooy on trumpet. Two following albums, Palm Trees and Power Lines and Lights Out have also been critically acclaimed and commercially successful.
- See SugarCult.com and MySpace.com for more info.
- Listen to Bouncing Off the Walls
- Listen to Underwear
- Former SBCC Music student Eduardo Villa is a leading tenor from the Metropolitan Opera. Villa is internationally known and has sung on leading stages throughout the world. He recently completed La Gioconda, Carmen and Cavalleria Rusticana with the Metropolitan Opera. He has been seen in Aida with the Bayerische Staatsoper in Munich, Germany, Un Ballo in Maschera with Vancouver Opera, Turandot with Opera Pacific, Carmen with the Rome Opera, Bluebeard with the Basel State Theater, Trovatore, Aida, La Boheme with the Atlanta Opera and many others.
- Bucket Baker played drums in the SBCC Lunch Break Band is now a first call studio player in LA. He has played with Michael Jackson, Kenny Loggins and many others.
- Reed Calhoun took the songwriting class and is now a member of the hot new band ROCK KILLS KID. Reed plays keyboards in the group. The new album Are You Nervous is now available on Reprise Records and features the hit single Paralyzed.
- See RockKillsKid.com and MySpace.com for more info.
- Listen to Paralyzed
- Kevin Garren completed the music major program at SBCC. While at SBCC Kevin was the lead alto sax player in the Lunch Break Jazz Band. Kevin was Music Director for Crystal Cruise Lines for several years and is now and active teacher and studio musician in Los Angeles.
Tim Lopez of the Plain White T's
- Tim Lopez joined the Plain White T's not long after he completed the SBCC Songwriting class. The group had an international smash hit with Hey There Delilah from the album Every Second Counts. The band's newest release Big Bad World features the hit single 1,2,3,4.
- See their website at PlainWhiteTs.com
- Listen to 1,2,3,4
- SBCC Songwriter Crosby Loggins won the VH1 reality show contest Rock The Cradle in the summer of 2008. Crosby's famous father, Kenny Loggins has visited the SBCC Songwriting class as a guest artist several times.
- Ron McCarley finished the music major program at SBCC and went on to earn a Masters In Music at Cal Arts Valencia. While at SBCC, Ron was the lead alto sax player in the Lunch Break Jazz Band. Ron is now the director of jazz studies at Cuesta College in San Luis Obispo.
- James Mooy conducts the Lunch Break Jazz Ensemble, and the Symphony Orchestra at Santa Barbara City College. Additional teaching duties include Music Appreciation and Music Technology. He is a former SBCC Music student and holds music and education degrees from UCLA (B.A. and M.A.). His trumpet performance studies have been with Jimmy Valves, Ron Thompson, Tony Plog, and Mario Guarneri. A Music Academy of the West alumnus, he has toured the U.S. and Japan as a professional trumpet player. James has freelanced in the Los Angeles area and held a full-time position as a Disneyland musician. Mr. Mooy has served as an adjudicator for numerous solo, chamber, wind ensemble, string ensemble, and jazz ensemble festivals. James has been a guest conductor for honor bands and orchestras throughout California. He has served as guest conductor for the Santa Barbara Schools String Festival and the SB Youth Symphony.
- Jeff Paterson played bass in the SBCC Lunch Break Band is now Band and Orchestra director at Goleta Valley Junior High School in Santa Barbara.
- AJ Rosenberger took the sound recording and electronic music class and is now working a production/sound engineer for the World Poker Tour.
- Rebecca Solodon just finished the music major program at SBCC. She has performed as an opening act for Mariah Carey and Air Supply. She is very active in the Make-A-Wish Foundation and her song Take My Hand is used as a theme song for many Make-A-Wish events. See beccasolodon.com for more info.
- Listen to Take My Hand
- James is the Laboratory Teaching Assistant for the Music Department. A former SBCC music student, he earned his B.A. from San Francisco State University in Electronic Music, and M.A. from Pepperdine University in Educational Technology. He plays trumpet with several SBCC jazz ensembles, chamber groups, and does other freelance playing in Santa Barbara.
- Tony Ybarra completed the music major program at SBCC and then earned a BA and Masters Degree in guitar from USC. Tony is a very talented Latin/flamenco guitarist and plays frequently with his band Sonido Moreno. He has released three CDs. In 2008 Tony Joined the SBCC Music Faculty where he teaches guitar and jazz improvisation.
- See YbarraMusic.com; SonidoMoreno.com, and MySpace.com for more info.
- Listen to A Badden Powell