Information for SBCC Tutors
If you are an SBCC tutor, the Tutor Handbook (Spring 2019) contains valuable information for you. You will learn the steps to an effective tutoring session, familiarize yourself with the different types of tutoring on campus, find out how to access your online time sheet, and see when your paycheck will be ready for you to pick up. Pay rate information is located on pages 17 and 18 of the Tutor Handbook.
All tutors are screened and selected by Instructors or Tutor Supervisors. After being selected, at the beginning of each semester all new and returning tutors will need to follow the hiring process.
Tutors will not be approved to work until the hiring process is complete.
All new drop-in general tutors need to complete a three-hour Mandatory Tutor Training Workshop (MTTW) before they start their tutoring jobs.
New Gateway tutors must complete the Tutor Training Seminar (TTS) within their first semester of tutoring. The Seminar is a 5 week 2 hours each week (10 hours total) training. Drop-in general tutors are encouraged to complete a five-week Tutor Training Seminar (TTS).
- an opportunity to learn tutoring best practices before you start tutoring
- an opportunity to meet with other new tutors and a mentor tutor to have your questions or concerns addressed
- flexibility in completing the training
- an opportunity to be paid for the time you spend learning more about becoming an effective tutor
Training will include topics such as
- the tutor's role
- listening skills
- questioning skills
- helping the student become an independent learner
- working with students with learning disabilities
- bridging the cultural gaps
- preventing sexual harassment
The Center offers numerous Mandatory Tutor Training Workshop (MTTW) and Tutor Training Seminar (TTS) during the semester. Sign up for one of the training workshops or seminars in the Tutorial Center or contact Jason Levy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension ext. 2667.
The Learning Resources Center media library also offers additional tutor training opportunities for tutors to view during the LRC's open hours.
- 10th Day of Each Month: Hourly employees must review their timesheets for accuracy, SAVE and SUBMIT them to their supervisor.
- 11th Day of Each Month: Supervisors review their employees timesheets for accuracy, SAVE, APPROVE and SUBMIT them.
- Last Business Day of Each Month: Paychecks are available in the Payroll Office for pick up and/or direct deposits are posted to banks.
Hourly tutors not enrolled in any SBCC classes may purchase a parking pass at a reduced rate.