Alternatives to Testing
You might not be required to take SBCC's English and/or math test.
If you have one or more of the items listed below:
- Download the ALTERNATIVES TO TESTING VERIFICATION FORM
- Acquire required documentation (e.g. score report, transcript, etc. - details on the
- Submit Verification Form & documentation to the Assessment Office.
- Score of 550 or higher on the Evidence Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) section of the SAT exam taken after Spring 2016 OR score of 500 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT exam taken before Spring 2016. (eligibility for ENG 110)
- AP English exam score of 3 or higher (eligibility for ENG 111)
- ACT English exam score of 22 or higher (eligibility for ENG 110)
- CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) English status of “Standard Exceeded.” Note: ‘conditional ‘ status not accepted. (eligibility for ENG 110)
- B.A. or B.S. degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. (eligibility for ENG 111)
- CSU EPT exam score of 147 or higher (eligibility for ENG 110)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) English exam score of 5 or higher (eligibility for ENG 110)
- University of California AWPE exam passage. (eligibility for ENG 110)
- Equivalent English 110 course completed at another college with a grade of “C” or
higher. If using this option, submit a request for prerequisite clearance.
- Score of 3 or higher on the AP Calculus AB exam (eligibility for Math 160) or the AP Calculus BC exam (eligibility for Math 200 or 210)
- Score of 3 or higher on the AP Statistics exam (eligibility for Math 114 or 120)
- CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) Math status of “Standard Exceeded.” Note: ‘conditional’ status not accepted (eligibility for Math 114, 117, 120 or Psy 150)
- Qualifying raw score from an MDTP Math test taken at another California Community College
- Math course from another college, completed with a grade of “C” or higher. If using this option, submit a request for prerequisite clearance.
Need help checking your EAP status?
- You can find your EAP status on the last page of your California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) report. A status of "Standard Exceeded" for English and/or Math exempts you from SBCC's English and/or Math Assessment test. Note: A "Conditional" or "Standard Met/Nearly Met/Not Met" status can not be used as an alternative to testing.
Prerequisite Verification Form B
You may also petition to challenge a prerequisite based upon (1) knowledge or ability to succeed, (2) prerequisite course has not been made reasonably available, (3) the prerequisite is not valid, (4) prerequisite is discriminatory, and (5) prerequisite was not established in accordance with the District's process for establishing prerequisites. Supporting documentation and Prerequisite Verification FORM B is required. Visit the Transcript Evaluation Office site for more information on specific deadlines and the required steps for clearance.